Posts : 3966
Reputation : 42
Join date : 2009-07-31
Location : Metro Manila
|Subject: Heat stroke April 17th 2016, 2:43 pm|| |
CAUSES/RISK FACTORS• Hot and humid weather• Vigorous exercise in hot weather
• Too much direct exposure to the sun
• Infants, the elderly, athletes, and individuals who work outside
May start with the following signs of heat exhaustion:
• Warm, flushed skin
• Very high fever of 41°C
• Rapid heartbeat
• Emergency measures:
Move the person to a shady spot or indoors and have him/her lie down with legs elevated. If able to drink liquids, have him/her sip cool water in a SITTING position. Remove clothing, apply cool water to the skin, and fan the person. Apply ice packs to the armpits, wrists, ankles, and groin.
• HEAT STROKE IS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY! BRING THE PATIENT IMMEDIATELY TO THE HOSPITAL AFTER INSTITUTING EMERGENCY MEASURES.
During very hot and humid weather:
• Limit the amount of time you spend outdoors.
• Drink plenty of water.
• Avoid tea, coffee, soda, and alcohol. Wear a wide-brimmed hat & long- sleeved clothing when outdoors. Schedule heavy-duty activities for the beginning or end of the day, when it’s cooler.